AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building grain bins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 9/16/2012 20:02 (#2594502 - in reply to #2594459)
Subject: Re: Building grain bins

Ethridge, TN
There is alot that goes into this, and one of the biggest challenges I've seen in the southern regions, is finding people that actually understand grain set-ups. I'm originally from what would be considered part of the grain belt, so have lived with bins, and learned that there are wrong and right ways.

Set-up that is currently on this farm, was here when I started, was built on convenience of construction, plus trying to keep cost at bare minimum. Unfortunately, for a long term investment, that has created quite a few problems in functionality, plus life wear. If you plan on really "using it", fully consider "commercial" duty on items such as the floor, unloads, sweeps, anything that sees alot of movement of grain thru it. Farm duty is what will be pushed, from the cost aspect, but you will find yourself doing alot of replacing, especially in southern conditions, specifically thinking fire ants and soybeans.

You need to do quite a bit of planning, and also looking into the crystal ball, to what "might" be future development. I would actually urge you to do quite a bit of visiting to farms with grain set-ups, and some trips to the grain belt would be worth your while. Develop a plan, lay it out on paper, and then tear it apart. If you build it strictly on "cost", I'm not sure you will be happy in the end.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)