AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

its a..........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 7/21/2012 16:50 (#2498494 - in reply to #2498437)
Subject: Re: its a..........

North Central Illinois
Heck yeah. If you have zero subsoil moisture when you plant or even a month or two before you plant I would say it is cause for alarm big time. The fact of the matter is that for purposes of this discussion not many people were without any subsoil moisture when the crop went it. I realize you folks in the south that have been going thru this for a few years probably did not have any to work with. Our tiles were running pretty full and we had some moisture in the bank. If it starts raining in October or November and we have a rainy or snowy winter that recharges us a little I will probably forward sell some more if the price looks attractive. This idea that you can't sell what you don't have is nuts unless you have absolutely nothing to work with moisture wise. I'm not saying sell 100% of what you might raise but there is nothing wrong with 25% or 30% of what you would normally raise. Seen too many times in the 80's thru 2007 when guys would hold, hold, hold, just sure that prices would get better after harvest only to end up selling the crop in July for less than they could have gotten on a forward contract several months earlier. Certainly hasn't been the case the past four years but nothing lasts forever either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)