AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baud rates?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 1/7/2012 01:21 (#2147726 - in reply to #2147696)
Subject: Re: Baud rates?

roaming
I've seen it described this way:
Think of communication between the GPS receiver and a display as written/spoken English. We write/speak in sentences. The specific protocol (NMEA, RTCM, etc.) used to transmit data between the receiver and display determines the structure of that sentence (how many words must be in the sentence, what order the words must come in, how you know when the sentence has ended, how to error-check the sentence, etc.) This is what is specified by the data bits, parity, and stop bits that can be configured in many receivers.

Baud rate is how fast you talk (how fast you say the sentence). If you talk so fast (or so slow) that I can't understand you, then we have a problem.

Hertz rate is how many times you speak the same sentence in one second.

So you could have a baud of 10 sentences-per-second (meaning you're speaking fast enough to say 10 sentences in a second), but a hertz rate of 2, meaning you're only actually saying the sentence twice in a second.

(In case you hadn't noticed, this is the "for dummies" version, because that's about all I can understand. :-) I'm sure mx270a or someone else can provide a more technical description.)

Typically, 4800 baud is acceptable for ag equipment. The vast majority of receivers can communicate at 4800 baud. Faster speeds are more commonly accepted now (38400 or 38k4 being quite widespread).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)