AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So who had problems with your Precision Planting ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

cbSCNE
Posted 5/28/2011 19:28 (#1796429 - in reply to #1795741)
Subject: Row unit weight...

South central, Nebraska
I believe there may be some more development needed with measuring row unit weight on the smart pins. What they have is light years ahead of nothing but there are some interesting variables at work with the current arrangement.

I have noticed rows reading consistently different so i swapped pins and the error stayed mostly the same. I switch springs and still had similar readings. I was wondering if it might be possible the planter harness had enough variation in resistance to cause problems or if it might be a physical variation with the row unit. After visiting a bit with the very good support staff, I realized it is most likely the physical variation between row units. This makes sense if you think about how a strain gauge measures weight through deflection of the pin. if you have any variation along the pinch point of the pin then the reading can be very different. Then you throw some dirt around it literally and everything changes more.

It will be interesting to see how that piece develops as it is a very important part of the calculation to determine needed down pressure. Working with precision tools mounted on varying levels of wearing components in the dirt and moisture is going to be quite a challenge but things are coming along. Sure is getting a lot more complicated. Progress right?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)