AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Privacy issues with iPhone??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 4/20/2011 23:41 (#1736054 - in reply to #1735926)
Subject: Re: Privacy issues with iPhone??

From what I have read on the subject...

All phones with GPS are tracked, including the iPhone, by your carrier. Yes, they track you and keep logs.

The iPhone also keeps this logged on a file, hidden in the phone's system files. This is transferred to your computer each time you plug the phone in as the entire phone is backed up in case of a failure. Why? Presumably for some feature that Apple plans to add in the future.

There is NO evidence that any of this info is being sent to Apple.

Can you prevent it? Yes - turn your GPS off. This also prevents carriers from tracking you - but also prevents them from finding you in case you go missing. If you drive off the road, down an embankment, and are trapped in your vehicle - in a spot that cannot be seen from the road for example, the carrier can aid rescue workers by giving them the tracking logs they have from your phone. You can also eliminate the file stored on the computer by doing into iTunes and clicking on Preferences->Devices and deleting the backup. But if your phone fails, you lose everything by doing this.

My own thoughts - nobody has mentioned this yet, but I am thinking this is somehow tied into Apple's "Find My iPhone" feature - allows you to find, track, wipe, lock, etc your phone if it is lost or stolen. I may be wrong though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)