AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Possible Motorola plans to ditch Android
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/24/2011 22:13 (#1688312 - in reply to #1687505)
Subject: RE: What about Blackberry?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

McCartman - 3/24/2011 15:32

Jim - Just what is it that a phone needs to be?

Whatever the users demand.

The BB may very well be a perfect fit for someone like yourself. As you said, it is much more a business device than an entertainment device. The thing is, the majority of the smartphone market these days want both - they want to be able to message, email, and surf the net - as well as take pics, play music, games, etc. A really GOOD smartphone will appeal to all of the above. So far, none of them are durable enough for rugged farm use without the use of a good case, IMO.

I do all of the above with my BB Tour plus a couple more. It has a good interface with our network, an excellent linkage between contacts, calendar, phone, etc....The clock, timer, alarm, alerts etc are all very useable. The keyboard is actually reasonably easy for me to type on even with my fat fingers. I really do not like touch screens. I can't ever type anything/phone number without making a mistake....I don't play games on my phone so you got me there!

So what does an iPhone or Android do that I can't do other than have a larger screen (because of no keyboard)? As far as ruggedness, I wear my phone on my belt (much to the disdain of younger members of my family!) and have had no problems with it as I had with earlier non-BB phones. The 2-piece holster seems to provide some drop protection and is very convenient. the BB messaging system works extremely well in addition to its email system.  We even have push-to-talk walkie talkie among our staff with the Verizon BB Tours.

And I can be standing in the middle of a field in the Dakotas somewhere, snap a picture to show something to Joe, send it to him in IL or KS wherever he is and in a minute he can PTT back to me and we can discuss.

What does an Android or iPhone do for me? Does it have PPT?

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 3/24/2011 22:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)