AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

McCartman, where is your iPad 2 review...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 3/3/2011 21:12 (#1648570 - in reply to #1647790)
Subject: Re: McCartman, where is your iPad 2 review...

Well, I can't give you a review because I don't own one - they won't be available until 3/11. I can give you my opinion though - based somewhat on very limited iPad 1 use that my folks have.

I believe the cameras were added mostly for Facetime. They might be handy for some business users. Most people aren't gonna go grab the iPad when they want to take pics though. So this leads back to Facetime. So far, one can only use FT when connected to wifi. I believe the day is coming, fairly soon, when it will be opened up to cell networks too. In fact, FT is fully capable of utilizing those networks, but from what I have read about it, the cell companies are the hold-up. Probably due to worries about additional traffic on already overloaded networks in some areas. This will all be worked out. When that happens, FT will take off in a big way. It is an open source thing - so other companies will probably adopt it as well. This is probably why there isn't a flash with that rear camera - most won't be using FT in the dark.

Thinner means lighter. Business people are more apt to be lugging these things around and they want lighter. Apple is targeting the corporate world in a big way with these things.

The $39 cable - uh, yea. Apple is very, VERY proud of their cables and adapters. I don't buy from Apple - stuff like that can be found for a fraction of the price elsewhere. Most Apple accessories should come with a small tube of Vaseline. ;)

SD card slot - no need for it. It would be dead cheap to add that feature. Apple is almost always pushing the envelope in tech trends and everything is heading to cloud storage. Besides, there are tons of apps for wifi file transfer to and from a desktop. I have an app on my iphone that automatically uploads pics from my camera roll to a specified folder on my Mac at a set interval. It's a set it and forget it sort of thing and it is working as advertised.

The cover - interesting concept. The back will still get scratched up though. What problems could the magnets cause? The storage in these things is solid state. Both the desk dock and car dock I had with my Droid had magnets to activate features when the phone was docked. Regardless, I'd want to see one in person before I'd make the purchase.

iTunes - Apple has built a HUGE server farm on the east coast somewhere that has not come online yet. Lots of speculation about that the plan for it is. Some say iTunes is going to the cloud, some say MobileMe will become a free service to keep all devices/computers synced. Maybe both. iTunes is only really needed these days for transferring music that you already own to an iPod/iPhone/iPad. Anything else can be purchased and downloaded right on the device now. I have been using MobileMe for keeping my calendar, contacts, email, etc synced. If you are not using it, iTunes then becomes more of a necessity.

Sooo, my overall thoughts - other manufacturers are going to have tablets on the market that will at least match and sometimes exceed the iPad 2 in terms of hardware. They will not be able to compete on price though. Apple is using some of their $40-50 billion cash hoard to pre purchase vast amounts of parts - flash storage, displays, etc - and getting huge volume discounts and eating up production capacity in factories that produce those parts. Other companies simply cannot compete with that and, as a result, have a lot more invested in each unit. If they keep the price low enough to compete with the iPad, they won't make much. But where Apple really stands out is in software. iOS is way out in front of Android in terms of stability, usability, and form. There is no comparison. Plain and simple. I've ran them both and I give credit where it is due. That, in combination with a vast selection of high quality apps, makes iOS tough to compete with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)