AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What might a Cat 3406 on a skid weigh?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CATGUY
Posted 1/26/2011 22:17 (#1575060 - in reply to #1573368)
Subject: RE: What might a Cat 3406 on a skid weigh?

Iowa

Our technical guy says he always figured 3400 lbs for a 3400 series CAT engine(engine only). With the extra stuff you mentioned, I'd guess 5000-6000 lbs, like some of the other posters mentioned.

The front engine lifting bracket, SHOULD have 4 - 1/2" NC bolts in it, and the rear lifting bracket should have 8 - 3/8" NC bolts in it. If all of these are in there, then it should be fine to lift from them. We lift truck engines/clutch/tranny assemblies out all the time, this way.

Now, I read your post, before I went to work, so I asked some questions at work, from some management personnel. There are some rules, that deal with warranty issues and territories.

1. Don't have a truck shop, do it , THAT just has the CAT sign out front.
WHY? Because, they could do the overhaul, BUT they can't perform any WARRANTY work on it , IF they aren't authorized by CAT as a Commercial /Industrial repair facility. This can come back to really be a pain in the butt. They also made not have access to any special repair options available, from CAT, for commerical/industrial engines.

2. Eastern Washington is cheaper than Western Washington!!!!
Seattle, WA prices =$113 per hour verses Wenatchee, WA ("in shop" prices) at $90 per hour.
That's a big difference. Wenatchee's foreman is Gary Mullendore (509) 886-5561 [NC Machinery].
I used to work with Gary, years ago; He is an ex-truck engine mechanic. I spoke with him Today about this. Gary is easy to talk to, but he wouldn't be the guy "turning wrenches", the mechanics, under his supervision, would be. It would be worth at least a phone call to Gary. 
NOTE: Wenatchee CAT shop is Authorized for your Commercial/industrial engine. 

We would like to know, is it a 3406A,  or B,  or C,  or E  model CAT engine ??????

Now, Talking with other management guy, just under the vice-president, He mentioned that if a customer is really set on a certain mechanic, working on his engine, NC Machinery will allow it, IN OUR BUILDING($113 per/hr), because here in Seattle, We are fully authorized, too. 

This discussion, is important, because I've heard of stories, where an CAT "AG" dealer, installed a Reman TRUCK engine (serial number) into a self-propelled sprayer, then AFTER-THE-FACT, that dealer couldn't do the Warranty work or any updates, BECAUSE they WEREN'T a TRUCK engine dealership!!!!
This story is from Nebraska, but it is a huge pain for everyone, because the poor, small town AG dealer accidently, ordered the wrong "type/serial number" of engine, for the application. Everyone is pissed; Customer, ag dealer, CAT, Warranty personnel, Managers trying to work thru these issues, etc.
Currently, Customer MUST pay for an Authorized CAT TRUCK mechanic to DRIVE to his location, at customer's expense, for any work. Now, I'm sure there is finger-pointing going on, too, and adjustments are trying to be made, for some expenses. In reality, AG dealer, should have pulled it out and put the correct one in, but they didn't want to "eat it". Note: it is a free phone call to CAT parts Analyst in Morton ,ILL whenever someone needs a Reman Part number for engine replacement. In hindsight; They only had make one phone call and this whole issue would have been eliminated.  

Now, back to your engine; Yes, I working in Tukwila, WA (south of Seattle) NC Machinery (425) 251-6430 = truck shop #. I actually, didn't realize the shop rate difference, was that great. I still would recommend that you get some basic quotes for an Overhaul(parts and labor for a mininum , basic repair). This kinda locks in the rates, for the basics, then the shop rate will probably apply to addtional items , a person finds, during teardown. Trust me, there is always something extra, sometimes it just requires parts only and no labor; other times it requires both or machine work , too.

This brings up WHY do you feel it must have an overhaul?

Burning oil, leaking oil, blowing coolant out of radiator cap, popping out intake or exhaust ?????? 

Are you wanting a COMPLETE engine overhaul= every gasket/seal/bearing , etc???? Front geartrain completely removed and rebushed, etc.

Radiator cleaning, just steam it out(externally), OR send to radiator shop ??????

Remember, when looking at quotes, try to compare apples to apples= what parts are in each quote. One guy's idea of a "overhaul" is completely different than the next guy's or next shop's idea!!!!!!!

Don't just go by $ per hour either, our company has lost jobs to small shops , but when they got the bill, there total labor was the same as ours, Customer asked our lead guy: "How can that be?"

Lead guy just said:" They just charged you more hours, but it sure made their charge out rate look good, didn't it?"
Sidenote: Why was he in our shop, His repair/overhaul shop says, it probably CAT's parts warranty issue, so go to the CAT dealer. They wouldn't even handle the guy's possible warranty issue.

Well. I hope, I've enlighten you a little, just let our company know if you want us or me to work on it. But at $23 per hr difference, I won't blame anyone for staying on the eastern side of the mountain pass.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)