AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What might a Cat 3406 on a skid weigh?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 1/26/2011 23:12 (#1575229 - in reply to #1575060)
Subject: RE: What might a Cat 3406 on a skid weigh?

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Wow, that was a lot more response than I was expecting. Thanks for the info.

It's a B series, water jacket aftercooled. I'll be keeping it on this side of the mountains. Actually, given that rate difference, I'm surprised that more people don't bring West Side stuff to this side for work. My engine needs a rebuild because, well, operator error I guess. It was run low on oil and started knocking. The operator had been checking the oil daily, but was looking at the side of the dipstick marked "low idle", so had been checking it when running. That's apparently not a very reliable indicator, because after it was dead and I flipped the stick over to the side marked "engine stopped" the oil was barely on the stick. It was shut off before it really grenaded, but I'm sure it won't be pretty inside. We're all pretty sick over the whole deal as it started and ran very well all season (it went on the morning of the last day we were going to run it), we just bought the machine last winter, and the previous owners said at that time it had one year on a rebuild.

I actually talked to Gary at NC today and to the owner of the truck shop I regularly work with, and both guys were certain they could fix it, claimed to have done many 3406 rebuilds, hourly rates were similar, and each one claimed that their warranty coverage would be better than the other's . I'm still torn about which way to go, as this is an important engine. Everyone seems to say "Cat dealer only", but to me it's farther away and a shop I've never worked with vs. a closer shop I've worked with for years run by a guy that has kind of saved my bacon a couple of times.

Well I need to take off to play some hockey and get my mind off this issue for a little bit.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)