AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

building a website: how do you do a database?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Indiana Smith
Posted 1/23/2011 10:49 (#1566760)
Subject: building a website: how do you do a database?

15 years ago, I learned how to build a simple website with ms word. I've built 5 different websites since then, so I understand the basics but I am no expert. Now I would like to build a site with a sortable database. I really haven't been keeping up on all this new-fangled flash driven (bandwidth wasting) crap that is out there right now, so I am way out of date. But I would like to attempt this database to keep me out of trouble on these wintery days.

I am going to have a mainpage with a link to the database page. I want the database page to look similar to the OSU corn performance page ( http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/corntrials/ )pictured below with each column being sortable:

osu corn page

I need to be able to update this database every month from an excel file and the data needs to be sortable by heading on the webpage.

What is the best way to set this up?  I have a domain.  I have webhosting.  My hosting package includes 10 MySQL databases (1GB each).  But I have no idea what a MySQL database is or how it works.

Give me some guidance please!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)