AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wild ride for Apple today!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 1/19/2011 19:31 (#1559253 - in reply to #1558705)
Subject: Re: Wild ride for Apple today!

MS may very well come up with something good. If they try to take Win 7 and optimize it for a tablet, then they will have a bloated pig. When the iPad first came out, some asked why they didn't run a version of OS X on it. The problem with desktop OS's is they require too much power to run on these current mobile devices. They will either be slower than molasses, lousy battery life, or both. This is the very reason netbooks are being killed by the iPad right now. If MS builds a tablet OS from the ground, up - made for mobile devices, they might have something. The problem with mobile OS's is they lack the power to run heavy duty applications that we normally run on desktops/laptops. Microsoft's problem (and Google, for that matter) is they will need to build their mobile OS's to work on such a large variety of devices. There are already tablets on the market with screen sizes all over the place. This is a problem for the OS people, but an even bigger problem for developers building apps for them.

As for the iPad - I'm not a hater, but I nearly wrote the platform off too when I watched the keynote about a year ago when Jobs introduced it. I just didn't think there would be this huge of a market for it. Once it hit the market, reading reviews got me to thinking that the iPad would be perfect for people with limited computer knowledge and just looking for something simple for email, pics, surfing the web, etc. Once I got my hands on one, I realized that it was much nicer to use than I had imagined it would be. The large touchscreen is really nice and is easy to look at. It still doesn't interest me personally for what I like to use a computer for, but I am old school.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)