AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Laptop problems and a fix
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Hayburner
Posted 9/23/2010 01:12 (#1370613 - in reply to #1369286)
Subject: RE: Laptop problems and a fix

dutch - 9/22/2010 06:22

Been having a lot of problems with my work laptop that runs our record keeping software for the sprayer. There for a while it would reboot itself for no reason, then it got so when you closed the lid to send it in sleep mode, when you re opened it, it would reboot. Then it would only boot in safe mode, then it started showing a lot of blue screens. I thought it had a virus or Windows was corrupted. Got to the point it was taking me over an hr to get it running and then sometimes it would just reboot itself after 5 min. I was able to get it running long enough to back everything up that I needed and run Hyjackthis and other stuff looking for something wrong. Every once in a while it would give a message about it could not read a certain line because of a memory fault.

Running memory tests thru the windows diagnostics turned up nothing. For kicks I swapped memory with my sons laptop which is the same type. No more problems.

So last night I narrowed it down to 1 memory module being bad causing all sorts of problems! 

I don't disagree that memory problems would cause all kinds of issues, but I've always stayed away from Sleep Mode. Years ago when laptops and Windows had Sleep Mode as an option, there was a certain manufacturer (don't recall which, Gateway maybe) whose laptops had problems with sleep mode. It didn't take too long in using sleep mode on those systems before they became corrupted.

I've stayed away from sleep mode ever since.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)