AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would drainage tile work in Alberta?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 6/12/2010 03:07 (#1233878 - in reply to #1233402)
Subject: Re: Would drainage tile work in Alberta?

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge
So, what is the life span of tile? And is there ever maintenance involved? Do they ever get silted up or plug in the wrong soil types, or wrong slope? I think I will try a test plot before next year, my only other challenge is convincing the county that their dams ( they call them roads) need much bigger deeper and more culverts, so that I can get the water out of the ditches fast enough. In the location I would like to try, the open ditch is running through some very boggy peat soil in a pasture, there would be some distance( 1-200 feet) between that and the lower edge of the farmland, would it be better to run tile all the way, even through the pasture to keep the saturated ground from seeping back, and blocking the natural flow through the soil? or switch to pipe once out of the field so not to overload the pipe? I suppose if it is effective enough, the whole area could then be farmed and the question is redundant. Does anyone have a map showing what a typical set up looks like, preferably with some indication of elevations? Thanks for all the help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)