AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Netllix information about hook up.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 5/24/2010 09:45 (#1212128 - in reply to #1210094)
Subject: RE: Netllix information about hook up.

Grand Rapids, MI
OK, Assuming you are still trying to make this work, let me back up a couple steps from the recommendations of products and explain the concepts behind this stuff.

First you probably need to decide whether you want to connect your TV and computer, or whether you just want to play netflix movies (and some other select info) on your TV.

If you want only Netflix Movies and other selected content:

That roku box and some newer DVD boxes will connect directly to the internet. The Roku box looks like it will connect to Netflix or Amazon movies on demand. I know some of these boxes will show YouTube movies as well. For wiring you would just need to run a Cat5e wire from your wired router (it sounds like you have one, need to confirm) to the box, then connect the box to the TV. If the wiring will be a hassle, many of these boxes will connect wirelessly as well, it might be cheaper/easier to set up a wireless modem.

If you want to connect your TV to your computer:

You need to do two things to do this. First you need the proper signal type and connector type. Your TV is an older "standard definition" one. Or in the current language: 480i. It accepts inputs of composite (1 yellow RCA jack), composite (3 RCA jacks) or Svideo (1 multi pinned jack) Each of these connections can carry different signals, but your TV can only handle the 480i or SD or "standard definition" signal.

So the first step is to get the SD signal from your computer. From the information you posted I cannot tell if your computer generates this signal or not, but most do not unless they are labeled a "multi-media" computer or the like. If it doesn't you will need a converter box from your current VGA or DVI output to 480i in one of the connection types that your TV accepts. Alternatively (and perhaps better) if you have a free slot in your computer, you could add a video card that outputs this format. If done right with the latter option you should be able to see your computer screen an output to the TV without switching any cables. The audio part is fairly easy, you would buy a 3.5mm stereo to plug into you computer to 2 RCA adapter. Then you just need an RCA/RCA cable to extend.

The next step is getting the signal from the computer to your TV. You didn't say how far apart they are. If they are close, just run the video cable outside the wall and call it good. If they are some distance and you want to run through the wall, you may need to find some soft of an extender, or use some fairly expensive coax cable rated for longer distances and crimp the rca jacks on the ends.

If you decide to go this latter route, I have a bunch of cable and extender boxes etc. as I have done a lot of this in my house. Let me know and I am sure I can sell it to you cheaper than you can get anywhere else and give you directions on how to hook it up, perhaps even loan you some tools, etc.

In all of this, you may want to think about the future. If you are opening the wall up to run cables, don't run just one. And you may want to join the wires from both locations in one "hub" area so later you can hook different things to them. Also think about later being able to transmit higher definition signals (720i, 1080i, 1080p) because likely you will not have that TV forever and your next one will likely be high def.

Hope this helps give you an idea of what is involved. If you let us know which path you want to head down, I can give you even more specifics.

Loren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)