AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

recomendations for a hard drive, please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

DevinF
Posted 5/22/2010 15:17 (#1209903 - in reply to #1209440)
Subject: RE: RAID and HDD rec..................

Nwmo
I have had a lot of trouble with WD drives in the last 4 years. All of which still had warranty left but data was lost in the end. I have started buying Samsung F3's they are by far the fastest 7200 RPM drives on the market as far as transfer rate, however they lack in the seek time. I would recommend a raid 1 setup, they are easy to setup and will give you complete redundancy if one drive fails. Raid 0 is only for speed and would actually put you at further risk of failure because the information is split or striped across 2 or more drives, so if one fails you are out of luck. Also if you have raid controller problems either on the motherboard or a separate controller you have to find an identical controller to just pick up where you left off. I started using carbonite.com to back up my important info offsite. I decided this was the best in case of fire or lightning strike.

All of the HD makers have had bad batches, Ibm had the Death Star (deskstar), Seagate had plenty of problems several years back, and I think WD is having some QC issues currently.

Mutliple drives or offsite backup is the only solution, you can never count on one drive to last forever.

Devin

Edited by DevinF 5/22/2010 15:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)