AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ExactEmerge - rebounders or firmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mlfarms1
Posted 4/18/2024 15:11 (#10711604 - in reply to #10705909)
Subject: RE: ExactEmerge - rebounders or firmers

Just to follow up with my testing.
I have a 2010 1770NT CCS 2pt mount 40' Bar 16x30 with retro fit ExactEmerge Units installed winter of 22/23.
During the 2023 planting season we struggled to keep seeds at target planting depth of 2.5". We noticed that higher speeds above 5mph resulted in a certain percentage of seeds on top of the ground. We varied our down force margin, closing wheel type and spacing, our bar tilt, row cleaner pressure, tensioned and re-tensioned our seed bowls, and had the dealer out many times. A friend down the road also has the same planter and discovered the same issues. Looking on forums it looks like this is a common problem for some and not for others. There are many comments on this forum regarding this issue as well so I know we aren't alone and I have some confidence that we aren't totally inept at setting a planter like some might think. I did put a go-pro on the planter trying to catch the issue but I was unable to get a good shot. I don't know if its an issue with DF or the closing system or the gauge wheels or what... My theory is that its the brush "Flick" as it makes the turn but I can't prove anything. Maybe its simply just Speed..

This year we were bound and determined to fix it rather than figure out the issue. I ran 2 rows of Schaffert Rebounds and 2 rows of Low stick Keeton Seed Firmers. Two systems that I would argue can not really be compared since they both advertise to do differing things - but they both might give us the result we are looking for. After running maybe 10-12 acres at various speeds ranging from 4-10+mph & I have found a solution that fixes the issue with almost* 100% confidence.
Both the rebounders as well as the seed firmers did the job of keeping the seed in the furrow. However. The rebounders seem to scrape the sidewall and drag some crumbs into the furrow as they go resulting in seeds being down in the furrow but not as nicely tucked into place as I'd like. They did give a relatively satisfactory result over all.
However the Firmers gave exceptional results. With nearly 100% accuracy I was able to find perfect seed placement as well as perfect seed to soil contact. Its better placement and accuracy than I have ever seen. I have yet to find a seed drag. I did plant through a few pretty damp areas and had absolutely no issue. I ran north of 10mph and there wasn't a bit of difference in accuracy or depth from 5mph all the way up. I plan to run in that 7.5-8.5mph range but wanted to test its ability and results at higher speeds.

As to cost... the rebounders were right at $50/row with bracket and orange rebounder sold as a kit. The Keeton Seed Firmer was $125/row. With MaxEmerge and ExactEmerge units there is a 5" set back bracket that needs to be purchased. That bracket is $70 and the seed Firmer kit is $55.

I'll be watching the longevity of them and maybe someday I'll report back.

Will it be profitable? I guess we will find out. One thing I do know is that having seeds on top of the ground is not.
I type this up because I can't find anything on forums that have direct and unbias experience with rebounders and firmers on High speed planters.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)