AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heavy Harrow applicability in Midwest for Secondary Tillage Use?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

thinkstoomuch
Posted 3/29/2024 07:29 (#10685052 - in reply to #10684361)
Subject: RE: Heavy Harrow applicability in Midwest for Secondary Tillage Use?

Kettle Moraine, WI
I have looked at those before. And for similar but separate use, I feel a lighter weight vertical tillage tool could be quite useful in the chem free, green cover crops world. Like a lightweight great plains turbo till. Something to size green residue and live green root balls in more mature covers (knee high small grains or alfalfa clovers). Some that others posted below as well as the crosscut you listed could get there.

I loved what a turbotill did in some knee high red clover after chiseling that had terminated the clover well. But rootballs needed a chopping. (Maybe I should have turbo tilled first but I don't own a turbotill so it was a rescue effort versus waiting for the roots to dry out).

From my original question, I am looking for the faster, lighter solution for replacing the field cultivator that shouldn't be in the field tilling bare dirt that aggressively. Tines keeping the soil fluffy also helps dry out roots and packing the soil just lets some regrow or germinate. One neighbor had a Phoenix or Phillips rotary harrow for a few years and worked well when it worked well. It's downfall was sticky soils in wet years in our variable soils that only takes a little part of the field to be a headache.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)