AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Economic benefits of strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notillr
Posted 12/4/2006 11:09 (#69105 - in reply to #68562)
Subject: RE: Economic benefits of strip till

WC ILL or on a HD on a road to 'somewhere'...

I've strip-tilled for prolly something like 100 years now. I have no plans to change, but like to think that my options are always open to something better that might come along. I have tried some of the strip while you plant methods, w/ no real success.

To, the additional cost of  strip-till, to me, is a non-issue. I use fall NH3. i use it from both a cost & convenience point of view. You can't yet compete w/ NH3 for cost w/ any other N forms & sidedressing is just a non-starter 'here'. We have a prevalence for long dry periods during the early summer + odd shaped fields that don't condone side-dressing. Put N on in dry dirt & it stays dry, it winds up w/ the same affect on the corn as having not put N on. Tried it, several times, works 'maybe' 1-2 years in 5. Don't even care to beat myself up again w/ it.

I just use an old homemade NH3 bar w/DMI units & good Progressive notched disk sealers. Builds a nice mound in the fall. I run it deep enough & build the mound up enough that erosion is another non-issue, even on C & D slopes.

Our high Ca.:low Mg, low O.M. soils go from 1 'good' planting day/year to either being hard & wet to hard & dry. The strip made in the fall is always a nice, warm & mellow fall plowed strip. Can't beat fall plowed for a spring seed bed.

The way I look at it, all I'm doing is taking advantage of a situation. I'm just planting on the strips I'd make anyway. Why wouldn't I?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)