AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any advice for mixed households? (pc and mac)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Highplainsnotillr
Posted 11/18/2009 12:48 (#928951 - in reply to #928799)
Subject: RE: On reliability......

Western CO
"high dollar Mac" -- lets see, just for grins I went to toshibadirect.com and priced a comparable Toshiba laptop -- core 2 duo proc. at similar speed (couldn't spec the exact same proc.) with the same speed front side bus, same Ram, same screen size, similar HD, upgraded the graphics to NVidia which is standard on the MacBook, added bluetooth which is standard on the Mac, upgraded the battery to comparable specs, and the price came out to within $15 of a 13" MacBook Pro. Doesn't look like the Mac is quite as high dollar as you would like it to sound. Oh, and I should add that had I priced the white MacBook with the plastic case which would be more comparable to the Toshiba that the MacBook would have come in at $200 less -- I'd venture to say that might be a bargain. And Eric is correct, Apple and Steve Jobs are not going to move down market -- no need to, they had record sales last quarter. Not sure that is something you could say about any of the PC makers. If I'm running Mercedes or BMW and my sales are good why would I want to start building Chevy's.

In addition -- looks like Apple is not too bad in the quality graph that you posted anyway. They are much closer to the best than to the worst on the chart and my guess is they are working on those points anyway. I have some seat time with the last generation of white MacBooks and the cases are probably the weak point -- Apple has recently redesigned that case and moved to a unibody structure that will probably be more durable. I would take that to mean that they are aware of problems they may have and are working to move up in quality. Just looks from the chart that you posted that I certainly wouldn't want to own an HP or Gateway. Makes me glad I recommended a Toshiba to some friends of ours that were looking for a new PC laptop. Hey if you're happy with the down market PC's I'm happy for you. There are a growing number of folks however that have had enough of the frustration with Windows and PC's and they are happy to move to a platform that doesn't have those issues. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to own a new PC, but if they are looking at Macs then yes I am more than happy to share my experiences as are many of the Mac users on this forum. I seem to remember Eric was a fairly happy PC owner and a bit skeptical of the Macs the first time he posted a question about owning a Mac.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)