AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Open heifers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 8/31/2018 08:19 (#6961249 - in reply to #6960787)
Subject: RE: Open heifers

daddycal - 8/30/2018 21:11

I have a lot of years of records and do not see a problem with heifers that calve later. In almost every case, they catch up and often move to the front as three year olds

Calvin, no way would I keep those heifers. They would be on the truck no questions asked. Something happened, how many bulls, was bulls tested, something big time went on. My experience is those late calvers turn into a every other year deal. You should have seen around 85% the first cycle, and clean up the rest in the next using bulls if they young tested bulls.

I had a deal kind of like this one this summer, I had 5 head of Holstein heifers in May in my heifer pen at home to be bred. So I put a coming 2 year old Black Angus virgin bull in. Was trich, semen tested. Well I checked the heifers first part of August, all open. I took bull to town and had him rechecked, bull had excellent semen test. I knew one heifer was open as I had watched her. I figured she was open, but not the others. Those heifers went to town that week.

So I added more heifers to the pen and also put two new Holstein bulls in pen after testing those bulls. So I will see next spring what we get. I'm betting my black bull is leading a alternative lifestyle and I didn't get the memo. I've had older bulls lay around and not bred, this was a first for me with a coming 2 year old that even had been semen tested good. I always run at least two bulls in heifer pen at home even if only covering 10-15 heifers. I've been caught like this now twice in a 30 year period. You would think I would have learned my lesson years ago.

Also how is Montana packing plant deal going? I haven't heard anything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)