AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Minnesota and northern Iowa farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 7/10/2018 10:54 (#6860787 - in reply to #6860716)
Subject: RE: Minnesota and northern Iowa farmers

southern MN
In my back yard 25% of the corn is very poor.

Really, 5 acres out of every 80 is drowned out, and another 5 acres is waist high and yellow and will have small nubbins. Other areas of the 80 are stunted and yellow where tile missed a spot, this will green up and look good from the road if the rain stops; but it will be 25-75% yield.

I got a wind a week ago, so the good corn that was a little taller is somewhat goosenecked now. That probably will yield good still, but not every ear makes it in the hopper.

There are a few 40s that are pattern tiled and look pretty good. (For all my complaining, I have one of those.....); across the road, there is 120 acres owned by couple farmers, little tile and there isn't a good 40 acres there anywhere, all corn is yellow and waist high, won't even make good silage. So there is some real good, and there is some real bad on the extremes. I've posted pictures from the drone before, but I hate to put up poor looking stuff that isn't mine.......

Put it all together and we have some poor corn.

We could get a miracle September and pull out some record high yields on the bits of good corn out there and the nubbin areas fill enough to snap into the header, and pull our averages up to near average. That could happen.

Or we could go dry, and all out corn has such shallow roots it will burn up quick, just when it needs to fill in the most, and take away what little good corn is out there so we have no good acres at all. It could happen too.

Where we go from here, I donno.

Right now, this is one of the sorriest looking crops I have seen for this point in the season. And I've doubled my tiled acres in the past decade. Without tile, I wouldn't need a combine this fall.

Dad had some wet years too before much tiling, but man, this is our third wet year locally, it just goes on and on, the soil doesn't shape up, it doesn't get fit for anything. Like they say about itrigstion, it suppli,nets the natural rain, it's difficult to be 100% irrigated - tile sure helps, but at so,e point even the tile can't keep up,with what is going on. The soil just isn't right any more, there hasn't been enough air in it for years now.

Then, weed control. We have had a hard time getting a handle on weeds, it's either 3 inch rainfalls or 27mph winds. Been very hard to keep weeds in check here on the clayish soils. They tell us weed compition lowers yields a couple percent, we will see. This affects beans more than corn this year.

Well, a long winded answer to; it depends what fall will be like. *

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)