AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

School me on digistar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Burgess159
Posted 1/20/2017 11:44 (#5781381 - in reply to #5777428)
Subject: RE: School me on digistar

Troy, Missouri
Ag Leader has WAAS (free of course) with the GPS 6000 as well as the 6500, with TerraStar-C and RTK on the GPS 6500 only. I had originally thought that when they first came out with TerraStar (think then it was version D, not C) that it was 1 inch accuracy repeatable.

Anyways, TerraStar-C is satellite based, so if you get good coverage with your current GPS 2500 on WAAS, then you should be fine with TerraStar-C. Those up above who were saying that TerraStar is like OmniStar, I don't think that's quite true. I have no experience with either truthfully, just what I have learned from being at Ag Leader training at their facility on TerraStar and personal use stories from farmers on OmniStar. OmniStar I believe takes a good amount of time to get convergence (thought I had heard 30-45 minutes???) and if say you got to close to a tree line or buildings and lost signal, you would have to wait that amount of time again to regain it....For TerraStar-C though, I believe it takes about the same time to converge as WAAS on any Ag Leader GPS (1500, 1600, 2500, 6000, 6500) which in my experience, is usually 30 seconds to 5 minutes depending. It is true that they both have about the same accuracy, 2-4 inches, but the reliability of TerraStar-C is so much better.

The initial cost for a GPS 6500 is a bit steep, $2,000 like you said, and you do have to pay that 1 time unlock to gain TerraStar-C correction, but after that, you just pay a 5 day, 1 month, 3 month or 12 month subscription for the signal. And if you don't have hydraulic steering already, but want it, then you have to have a GPS 6500 to operate Ag Leader's new SteerCommand (which replaced Paradyme and GeoSteer). You said you have guidance but I wasn't sure which exactly. Hope this helps.

Edited by Burgess159 1/20/2017 11:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)