AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Terminating turnips and oats with brushcutter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 4/30/2016 21:18 (#5274595 - in reply to #5274218)
Subject: RE: Terminating turnips and oats with brushcutter?

North Central Illinois
I planted the same mix in a drowned patch of a wheat field behind the barn two years ago. Fenced it and grazed the ewes on it when the oats were just heading out. Limited regrowth on the oats, but the turnips grew back for 3 more grazings at 3 week intervals. They were regrowing a bit again when I disked them in and seeded a hay mix in early August.

Joel is right about weeds being an issue in food grade beans. Dad always had to wait for a killing frost to combine his organic beans, as that was the only way to stop the sap from the pigweed and lambsquarters from sticking every bit of dust to the beans.

A rotary hoe won't do much of anything without a lot of loose dirt to work in. Might poke some holes in the turnip leaves though. I have a few acres of organic oats that are looking like they will have as many lambsquarters and smartweeds as oat plants. Oats have a headstart, but I am not optimistic about them staying far enough ahead of the weeds to put them through the combine. If we get a good stretch of weather for making hay, they will get cut in June and I will till and plant soybeans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)