AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lowest Land Rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Loren SE IA
Posted 12/24/2015 02:23 (#4983171 - in reply to #4982003)
Subject: RE: Lowest Land Rent

Kalona, IA

I've got a 3 ac. pasture next to my barn that has several trees on it. My  neighbor keeps 2 milk cows on it and leads them to his home, across the road, to milk them. They have water and a barn to go to here. In return we get "free" fresh whole milk. And, a good neighborly relationship.

I just bought the rest of the farm this spring from the estate of my deceased LL and paid $15k ac. for the adjoining land. My wife thinks that I probably should take out the fences and trees and farm it too. It would be highly productive land and the profits would buy plenty of milk. but.........
........it sure looks nice to see an old fashioned small pasture with several cows and horses in it when driving by. 

Problem is nostalgia doesn't pay the bills!

Merry Christmas!! 

BTW, The neighbor is an Amish family. I should sneak a pic of him or his kids leading the cows across the road sometime. Pretty neat! 

As a further followup to neighborliness  and in the Christmas Spirit I also was able to "rent" for "free" a 35 acre part of the farm that the estate wouldn't let me buy during the estate settlement. It was sold to my same neighbor who decided to return some favors that he really wasn't bound to. I had spent probably around $20k tiling out all the wet spots since 2010-2013 and the estate wasn't bound to reimbursing me, so in appreciation of me spending my own $$ to which they will benefit from henceforth, they did not charge me any rent for this years crop. I was blessed with my best crop ever from that field. It was sold to them at a discounted rate of 1/3 less then what I had to pay, because they were closer relatives to the Estate. 

I have great neighbors and hold them in high regard! 

Edited by Loren SE IA 12/25/2015 22:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)