AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anhydrous, warm temps, and rain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buck S
Posted 12/23/2015 19:58 (#4982512 - in reply to #4982410)
Subject: RE: Anhydrous, warm temps, and rain

McLeod County, MN
The U of M does not recommend fall NH3 east of highway 71, yet every fall tanks are being hauled all over the place. Then by early August you can watch a lot of those same fields peter out of N and the guys sit and scratch their ass wondering why their corn sucked so bad. Gee, I am only putting my N on 8-10 months before its needed, cant figure out what went wrong. Combine that with all the heavy rains the last 5 years and the fact that MPCA (MN Pollution Control) is actively testing 70,000 wells around farm country for nitrate and we have heavy regulation coming. Not to mention all the guys that foolishly fall applied then ended up PPing those fields 100s of thousands of acres the last few years and we (farmers) look really bad.

I have been farming for 8 years on my own and involved in other operations for about 20. NEVER once in my 5 years of split apply has full dose pre-plant beat the split apply stuff. Some times the split apply stuff doesnt win by much, but it NEVER loses and is a much more responsible way of managing nutrients. I am not interested in flushing my N through the soil and being a big polluter like some of these other guys. Since we cant regulate ourselves better the guys in St. Paul are getting ready to do it for us. Just wait til the Dems get ahold of the house, senate, and governors mansion again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)