AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

160-170 bushel corn ground cash rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 12/17/2015 16:14 (#4967174 - in reply to #4967143)
Subject: RE: No kidding!!

EC Nebraska
johnwayne360 - 12/17/2015 16:01

so if its wetlands when the contract is up..then can you even farm it again? or what will be the rules when it comes out?

It's considered "farmable wetlands" now. I should be able to burn it down and farm it again as long as I don't move any dirt or try to drain it in any way. It will probably take a couple years to get the weeds under control after the contract is up. No profit those years.

It's possible that it would be a little better soil structure then it is now but it will certainly have a much larger weed seed bank than it does now. It really depends on the weather during those years. We've been in wet cycle since 2006, it's very possible we'd revert to a dry cycle and that ground would be bare and blowing. That would be a disaster.

Biggest question to me is what are grain prices going to do during that ten years. If it's going to be below $3.20 most of the time, then it's going to be hard to beat the CRP income. If corn is above $3.50 more often than not, I can probably beat that. If there's a 25% chance I can make more money NOT putting it into CRP, than I'm not going to. But it would be kinda good to have it in if we've got sub-$3.00 corn half of those years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)