AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn residue breadown myths
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 11/22/2015 09:21 (#4912411 - in reply to #4912230)
Subject: RE: corn residue breadown myths

King City, Mo
To compost the corn stalks we balance the C:N ratio. The adding of ams to decomp those corn stalk makes the ratio more attractive for them to eat the corn stalks. It's not a cure all as air, water and temperature, and existing populations of microbes all play a part.

Study composting and they talk about the ratio of somewhere around 25:1 or so that the microbes really like. Narrower ratio the faster it decomps and the wider the ratio the slower things decomp. So they talk about adding greens (narrow) and Browns (wide) to balance things out. They also turn the pile to control temp and may even add moisture if it's to dry to create an enverioment the microbes like. We can't do all of that on a fields of corn stalks or wheat stubble but we can push it the right direction.

By applying ranch to the chicken I made it more attractive for the child much like the added N makes high carbon residue more attractive to the soil microbes.

To help make things make since to me I started a compost pile last spring and it's been an interesting project that's helping me get some areas where we ring fed hay cleaned up. I'll attach where I wrote an issue of brads bull about it.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (236KB - 340 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)