AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Early interseeded cover crops?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ScottPA
Posted 11/15/2015 06:40 (#4897092 - in reply to #4896405)
Subject: RE: Early interseeded cover crops?

Jersey Shore, PA
We rented an interseeder from our nrcs office this year to try on a few acres. Our main mix was oats(10#), ryegrass(10#), vetch(5#), and radish(3#). The corn was still just short enough to get through with the seeder when we did it......probably v6 or so? At harvest this year the best growth was on the inside of the headlands where we had run over corn with the seeder and it allowed more light to get in. There was some growth in other areas of the field where stands were thinner, but in the best yielding areas where little light got in.....not much growth. It was not the best planning as these were mid range maturities for us. If they would have been harvested earlier perhaps it would have taken off after harvest?

I say this because we also did a plot for seedway using the interseeder. We intentionally used an early maturing variety with upright leaves intended to let more light in and harvest early(which we did). I don't remember all the mixes exactly but anything with a grass(wheat, ryegrass, triticale) looked really good. Radishes also seemed to do well. Clovers, vetch, and hemp did not do as well. I have not been up to that field in a while, but after harvest those grass mixes especially took off. You can easily see the green from the road.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)