AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some cover crop advice from the experts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 8/29/2015 22:29 (#4760202 - in reply to #4760189)
Subject: RE: Need some cover crop advice from the experts

Morris, IL
I don't really agree and have hard time believing fall/spring has shined, but i know i'm the minority and i think it's great your trying to work that way. We have lot of options in this area for high clearance side dressing if needed with Hagie's so that always helps to have backup plan. I think the hit to fall is going to be huge this year, we had 18 inches of rain in June up here and a wet May and early July as well. I think the same thing about all the compaction from conventional tillage, that extra compaction really hurts in year like this.

A hidden advantage of dumping the fall NH3 is you can strip till when it's warm and dry rather then cold and wet. You don't know how much i like being able to follow combine around rather then waiting till 50 degree soils. Strips are so much nicer and just less stressful getting done. I pay for that come spring trying to get sidedness NH3 on.

My favorite idea for seeding cover crop in corn stalks would be some sort of small air seeder with corn head. But i'm really not sure what to think with cover crops yet, let some of guys with more time and ideas then me figure it out i'll dive in.

Edited by NEILFarmer 8/29/2015 23:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)