AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solve California drought with Seattle pipeline
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 4/21/2015 12:38 (#4529272 - in reply to #4528624)
Subject: RE: Solve California drought with Seattle pipeline

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Robert W Greif - 4/21/2015 03:42

Question?
Seems like I have read or heard that the Colorado River has no outflow to the sea
It is all used up.

And I did some GoogleEarth looking. Could not find what looks like any stream bed with any water it it. GoogleEarth images taken in Jan of 2015.
It does look like there are several pivots in Mexico.

How can the Greenies demand that half the flow of their rivers go to the sea.
Yet for ‘someone else water’, be part of nearly 100% of the Colorado’s water being used?

For the ‘You can’t have our water folks’:
I would think a intake in the a river very close to the sea would not use any water that the local people would ever need.

But that would mean more pumping costs. Far more than pumping out of a river at 1000’ above sea level.

Unless they are intentionally flushing water out like I understand they were last year trying to 'restore' the Colorado Delta, the Colorado doesn't reach the ocean. Part of the reason is it ends in Mexico, and they take what is delivered to them, and use it all for irrigation. The US is bound by several treaties to deliver around 1.5 million acre feet to Mexico. They do what they want with it. If the river terminated in the US, the environmentalists would probably have lobbied for more environmental flows, but the have a hard time doing that in Mexico.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)