AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

02 Silverado with allison tran problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Burgess159
Posted 3/5/2015 18:26 (#4433852 - in reply to #4433809)
Subject: RE: 02 Silverado with allison tran problem

Troy, Missouri
I have an 04 Duramax with the Allison. I guess how did they change the fluid exactly? I know that sounds silly, but did they just drain the fluid out and fill it with new fluid, or did they use one of those flushing machines that forces the old fluid out and new fluid in. If they did the flushing, and with it having 79000 like you said with possibly never having been changed let along flushed before, I could see it causing some issues....

Mine has 171,000 on it and the guy that had it before me said he had flushed it regularly. If you flush it like that, it's ok to do it. If not, then flushing it later on in its life without never doing it from the start could end bad and do kind of what you said your mechanic told you. The theory I heard on it was that everything has settled and found it's groove in there over time, and when you force it out, it just doesn't like it and withing say 2,000 miles, the transmission will go out (possibly). I've heard that if you don't just do a normal fluid change regularly either, then just let it go and keep the fluid because it could do something similar and go out.

But what the mechanic said about the fluid having changed since then I believe is true. That and Allison's are supposed to use only fluids approved by Allison. Yes I've heard that people use whatever GM suggests you use or whatever they put in it if you take it to a GM dealer to have it changed and get along okay, but from what I've heard, whatever that fluid is (think it's Dexron 6??), Allison doesn't actually approve of it. They have a whole bunch of fluids they do approve that is on their website, but the only one I can remember which is what I used when I changed the fluid in mine is TranSynd.

My money is on what your mechanic told you since it was most likely the original oil in there from the day it rolled off the line (if you just bought this truck from someone else).

Edited by Burgess159 3/5/2015 18:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)