AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nitrogen recommendations ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 11/30/2013 10:56 (#3480896 - in reply to #3480543)
Subject: RE: Nitrogen recommendations ?

Rolla, ND
It's a very good idea. I would be surprised if one didn't learn just through running it for some years. Thing is it's trying to estimate N in the rootzone, and the model includes a lot of what is known but of course one must not just take a number generated and pretend it's perfect.

One potential weakness is the operator has to set a yield. The amount of N it wants to maintain in the rootzone is very sensitive to that number. Also uses rooting depth but I don't know if you say for instance 4 foot rooting if the program just assumes the corn can get everything in that depth or what.

I don't have any experience as far as it's estimation of N produced from OM this far west. Haven't taken the time to look into the models it's using as far as how much effect tillage has or temperature on those numbers.

Even if you don't agree with it though, I would guess you are going to be better than just flying by the seat of the pants. If you disagree there's likely a reason. So I guess I'm saying it's easier to revise than to create from scratch.

I found it kind of cute that it estimates the PSNT. Which is about as coarse of a soil test as one can find.
But really it's just trying to model with what is out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)