AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy Dilemma advice-young guy starting out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

behog
Posted 11/5/2012 11:24 (#2679551 - in reply to #2679175)
Subject: Re: Dairy Dilemma advice-young guy starting out

frederick, MD
Let me tell you the truth. Dairy has been very good to me. I got a good start, I took over my father operation and that was a big help. It wasn't given to me, I paid dad for everything and continue to pay him near market rates for rent. I have done well. Got my debt paid down to a managable level after 10 years, then I bought a farm so have a big payment on that. I have accumulated a lot of assets. I never have any cash though, hopefully that will change over the next 10 years. Dairy is hard, 24/7 and a lot orf small details need to be managed. When I started the only way I could figure to make it was to cut out some of my equipment, like forage harvesting, and focus on getting the milk check bigger. Cash is king. It is a lot easierto service debt if you milk check is bigger. If you are young you can work 24/7, work towards getting to a size where you can have some hired help so you can get some time off once in a while. It will be a struggle to manage the help, but there are good people out there.

Try to go with the old farmer who wants to work with you and see you succed. The old guy who will give you advise, yet grin and bear it when you don't always do what he likes. Someone who is a good farmer, but realizes that you may have a differant way. The advise I was given by my elders was, always listen to our advice, you don't always have to follow it but consider it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)