AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf Size Goals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 10/19/2014 06:12 (#4134331)
Subject: Calf Size Goals

NS Canada
Just curious based on some other threads what your ideal calf size is in your operation? Both for heifers and cows.

In my mixed herd I want cows pushing #90'ers usually. And they have been doing that and more (low 100s) unassisted. Cows are mostly charolais based crosses, with the cross being red angus or gelbvieh. Likely weighing 12-1400 as matures for the most part, but there's a few in there @ 1100.

Heifers I like atleast 70,. And even up to 80 provided they are in shape and of age, 2 yrs old and 900-1000. But as I mentioned before this season I had several 5mo old heifers get bred (to big bulls 2000#ers) and they calved at 14mo One of them I doubt was much over 750lbs herself and she had a 75lb calf, took a good pull but she still did it.

I know it sucks to deal with them being too big to handle, but the 60s just seem too tiny and usually a calf like that never has a chance to catch its 80-90lb sibilings. And not a hope in hell of catching 100lb ers

I never pulled any out of a dozen first time heifers that were supposed to be bred, maybe one from a mature cows cause I was standing there. And only pulled 1/3 of the 14 month old heifers. So I don't see issue in having these bigger starting calves.

Edited by Supa Dexta 10/19/2014 06:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)