AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

chopper nightmare
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

scarecrow
Posted 4/28/2014 05:50 (#3840676)
Subject: chopper nightmare

I have two younger cousins I work with that have been doing a little custom forage harvesting. This winter they purchased a "new to them" Krone from an Indiana John Deere dealership. Before agreeing to purchase it, they listened to the normal speel from the salesman about how it was his reputation on the line to sell quality equipment. There was a short list of repairs to make and the machine was to be brought in the dealers shop for seasonal maintanence before delivery.
After it was shipped, they brought it in our shop to install an inoculant applicator and a few other things. Upon inspection it was noticed the tappet cover breather had been broke. Not knowing how long it had ran that way, they hired a certified mechanic to do some inspection. None of the promised "seasonal maintenace" had been done that the dealer had promised. This turned out to be a positive, as an engine oil analysis could be done and the oil filters disassembled. The filter was heavily contaminated with metal and the oil sample was sketchy. The salesman apologized and stated the machine should of never left the dealer in said condition.
After over a week of phone calls, now the dealer claims there's nothing wrong with it. The cousins want to return it, but the dealer still insist its fine. Another week of bickering and they decide to offer a 50 hr/50% warranty, (if it fails in 50 hrs, Dealer will pay 1/2 the repairs). My feeling are this is a lame offer if the dealer is so confident in it. Saturday they back it outside, let it idle for 15 minutes, and it starts to knock. Not just a little, but a good loud consistent hammer.
My question is what should they do now? Is asking the dealer to plainly pick it up and return their money out of line? I can see the dealer being a jerk if they ran it 50-100 hrs. But not just unloading it and pulling it inside.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)