AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Generator ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jblands
Posted 12/4/2013 19:16 (#3491312)
Subject: Generator ?

Need some advice. We are under a winter storm warning for Thursday night and Friday. Expect 1.5" of ice and 3-5" of snow. We had a similar situation in 2009. My dad bought a 5500 watt generator for that storm. We were without electricity on the farm for 3 weeks. I hooked the generator up to the meter base so my parents would have electricity. Pulled the meter so there would be no backfeed. I just found out today that the carburetor on this generator needs to be replaced and it will take 2 days to get one. Several years ago I bought a 12 kw generator for farm use but I have never used it. It does not have any plugins like my dad's 5500 watt generator has. I will have to run a wire from the 4 pegs on the inside of the lid of the generator to the meter box. I will use a 4 cylinder Cummins power unit motor to run it. Now my question. Can I tie-in to the meter base with the 12 kw generator the same way that I did with the 5500 watt generator? The 5500 watt had built in plugins. Will the 12 kw gen. send too much electricity into the house and cause a fire danger or will the appliances in the house only use what is needed? I guess my question is if I produce 10 kw of electricity and the house only needs 5 kw, what happens to the extra 5 kw? Keep in mind, I know very little about electricity. I want to make sure that I don't burn down my parents house. They might raise my crop rent next year if I do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)