AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy Dilemma advice-young guy starting out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

deere5010
Posted 11/4/2012 18:41 (#2678209)
Subject: Dairy Dilemma advice-young guy starting out

Nebraska
I've been running ads in Illinois/Wi for a dairy farm and have gotten 2 calls on my ads running for 2 weeks. I know its been tough year etc etc.

The 2 calls I did get are 1 farmer looking to maybe have somebody continue the farm on after they are done with no children 130 cows in nice tie stall barn possibly a buy in.

The 2nd farm is a guy with a newer dairy setup with room for 160 cows but only have 90 cows milking not using the other half of freestall barn. double 10 parlor and drive by feeding in barn etc.

If you were in my shoes what do you think would be best way to get started A) take a chance on buying into farm where I would be buying cows as I am working or B) Work for somebody be the herdsman for their cows while buying cows and them letting me get enough cows to go on my own without option of ever owning farm.

I know I want to dairy and have had a hard time finding a farm that is willing to employ you full time be able to make a living and at the same time be able to buy cows and work them with the farms herd.

I do not want just a paycheck I can go to walmart or mcdonalds for that.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)