AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CAT 3406E won't start
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Highplainsnotillr
Posted 7/6/2010 19:49 (#1262939)
Subject: CAT 3406E won't start

Western CO
I have a 3406E in a KW that wouldn't start about a week ago, just crank - no fire at all. Did the simple stuff (bled the fuel, checked connectors). Had CAT out on Fri. -- no codes at all in the computer, so he put a gauge on to measure fuel pressure and after just putting on the gauge, it started. Fuel pressure seemed low so he put in a fuel pressure regulator. Started just fine after this but seemed to me that the pressure was not much different from before. Anyway thought we had it solved, has started every day since then until this afternoon after starting it this morning and pulling it into the shop to rebuild the fan clutch. After we were done with the fan clutch and ready to start it it wouldn't start again. Same symptoms as before, will crank without even trying to fire. Changed out fuel filters this afternoon as well, figured might as well do the things that it can't be. The mechanic that came out also mentioned the possibility of the transfer pump. Should also mention that fuel pressure was around 50 psi, measured at the filter on the side of the motor. Any ideas? Seemed strange to me at the time that it would start after just putting the fitting in and connecting a gauge to it. Going to need this thing to be reliable pretty soon, we are days away from starting wheat harvest here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)