AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying a Car? Are you Afraid?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Dax
Posted 4/20/2021 12:21 (#8962871)
Subject: Buying a Car? Are you Afraid?

Cumberland County, TN

Okay, let's take a look at why you might be apprehensive about signing those notarized documents.  It's because you're placing yourself into a position where you might not just lose your money, but perhaps  someone else's money also that you'll be obligated to pay back.  And - if it does happen, you're going to suffer a loss that might well be devastating.  Yes, who wouldn't be scared?  Maybe if your name is Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg it wouldn't be scary at all but for most average-income people, buying a car is a major investment.

I've heard it said that for the average person, food is the only thing in the budget that costs more than the car - even more than the house because it must be continually replaced.  If the car breaks or is destroyed before it can be paid for, then there's a devastating loss that might well take years of hard work and many rubles to recover.  If you have to buy a car, you may be forced into taking a chance that you really don't enjoy taking.  You know you're apt to lose.  You just don't know how much or how badly it's going to hurt until after you've committed.  That's why most people with basic common sense have a fear of signing the papers.  The seller has no mercy.  The lender has no mercy and the government regulators have no mercy.  There's nobody looking out for your tailfeathers - but you - and you'd better not foul this up!   Yes, that even scares ME and I ain't afraid of NUTHIN!

So the bottom line is the same as it is with any gambling venture...  don't risk more than you can afford to LOSE! 

I'll share a real-life story here.  (Consider:  "Finding out how that buck lost his antler can keep you from losing yours!") My friend, Basil, saw a car that he wanted very badly even though he wasn't in a position to make such an extravagant purchase.  He went to Household Finance and borrowed money to place a down payment - and then he signed the papers to buy the car on credit. 

Basil couldn't afford the insurance but the lender required a full-coverage policy to protect their company's interests.  So he bought a policy that could be paid on a monthly basis - at a much higher price.  His budget was stretched to the point that he could barely afford to fill the tank with petrol.  And then the worst thing happened.  He missed an insurance payment and then the car was wrecked beyond repair.  Insurance wouldn't pay off so Basil needed to buy another car.

He sought money from his family to help him buy a 'beater' and he discovered that his insurance rates had gone up considerably.  He only bought liability and property damage insurance - on credit - and all the while he was making payments on the wrecked hulk of the dream car that lay in the weeds of the back garden. 

Green With Envy Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 Wrecked | Mopar Blog

You probably know several people just like Basil in your own experiences.  It's not an uncommon story.  You routinely read about people  who fake a car theft or they'll deliberately wreck the car for insurance in a desperate attempt to get out of the predicament that they've placed themselves into.  And THAT is why it can be fearful to buy a car - unless your name is Gates or Zuckerberg.  The point is - "Don't risk more money than you can afford to lose."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)