AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

O/T City Water Service VS New Well
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 11/19/2006 20:09 (#63455)
Subject: O/T City Water Service VS New Well

This is a bit off topic but it matches closest to Stock Talk as compared to the others. We have been using two hand dug wells on our farm. We currently run about 50-75 head of sheep year round. The two old wells just can't keep up with the sheep and load of a family of four. My two options are, as the title suggests, either to hook up to city water or to drill a new deep well. From the facts I have gathered to this point, a new deep well is about $5000 with all parts and labor, and the only guantee is the well drillers pump off test at the time of drilling. It could end up a dry hole - not likely here in ECIL but they do happen. The other option is the expanded city/water district. My hook up fee to them is $2000 upfront plus the average bill is $50 a month for their typical household of four. Which I thought I would hook up the house but run the livestock off the two wells unless they were low then I could use city water for them too. The wife prefers the city water for the guanteed service and I admit it is no fun to get home from work at 9 at night to haul water until midnight. So the peace at home maybe worth more than the pricing differences:) I can see advantages to going either way but I am looking for some outsiders views as to what they would or did do. Thanks for your opinions, advice and ideas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)