AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Amish pies
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

skicker
Posted 8/30/2020 12:23 (#8466155)
Subject: Amish pies

CNY
Gotta feel sorry for Amish. They must never have tasted a real fruit pie. My wife makes a great pie. About twice a year. She hates making pies. So to fill in the gaps I look for boughten pies. Wegman's are pretty good but they are 50 miles away so only get that when my Syracuse daughter gets one for me. I've tried 3 different Amish sources 2 on farms and one at a Amish store. Yesterday daughter brought on from a farmer's market, also Amish. Every one of them is all filler and mediocre crust. You really have to look to find the advertised fruit. Do Amish really eat this crap or are they just for screwing over the "English" foodies?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GregWCIL
Posted 8/30/2020 14:17 (#8466322 - in reply to #8466155)
Subject: RE: Amish pies

West Central Illinois
Same experience.
archie63
Posted 8/30/2020 14:28 (#8466338 - in reply to #8466322)

Barry County, MI
One can pie filling cut with water and cornstarch and you go 6 pies ha ha I dont bother to buy anything from their bake stands. Ive seen 3 cherries to the pie and havent looked since then archie

Edited by archie63 8/30/2020 14:29
boakfarms
Posted 8/30/2020 15:22 (#8466418 - in reply to #8466155)

New Castle, PA
In answer to your question's, yes and yes
Tim in WI
Posted 8/30/2020 15:39 (#8466444 - in reply to #8466155)

Embarrass WI
We have an Amish community around here. When they first came, 20 or so years ago, their pies were heavenly. Lots of real fruit, tasty crispy crusts. I went a lot of years between Amish pies, had some about 2 years ago and they were average, at best. Commercial canned pie filling and the crust had no flavor. I'm all done with Amish pies. Their doughnuts are still pretty good if you can get them fresh and warm.

Mostly it seems that the Amish feel that us English are only around to serve as sources of cash. In general, they seem to feel that they are far superior to us. Different Amish communities may feel differently?
MaineFarmer
Posted 8/30/2020 17:53 (#8466641 - in reply to #8466444)

coast of Maine
here they opened a large commercial kitchen to make jams to sell at a bunch of Amish Markets,lots of nice boilers and such,,,,were using frozen Turkish strawberries as main source...
SEIA Farm
Posted 8/30/2020 19:22 (#8466798 - in reply to #8466155)

Kuhn's bakery, drakesville, IA. Supposedly they are good and shipped across the country
JohnW
Posted 8/30/2020 19:24 (#8466799 - in reply to #8466155)

NW Washington
I bought an Amish cookbook in Indiana once and the amount of sugar they called for in the recipes was crazy. They must do a lot of hard manual labor to keep from getting obese.
A lot of commercial fruit pies are often just very sweet with little identifiable fruit flavor.
dittfarms
Posted 8/30/2020 20:04 (#8466890 - in reply to #8466641)

ottertail co mn
What a scam
thinkstoomuch
Posted 8/30/2020 20:29 (#8466958 - in reply to #8466155)

Kettle Moraine, WI
I had some Amish made fruit jam I think I bought at a road side stands few years ago. Tasted good but different and when I looked at ingrediant list it was fruit, sugar, and gelatin. Gelatin is cheaper than pectin.

Everyone looks to improve profit margin. I don't know if their marketing department investigated whether profit per unit was worth more than charging more per unit.

There is an Amish grocery store around Dalton, WI (mostly repackaged bulk ingredients). Assuming what they sell is what the community eats, their food may be made from scratch though ample artificial ingredients.

I do know Amish meal time at the table is all business of eating and no chatting.
ohiohorsewoman
Posted 8/30/2020 21:12 (#8467083 - in reply to #8466155)

You gotta be kidding me. We have a place locally that operates Thurs-Sat with multiple vendors. Fantastic doughnuts, candies, spices, and yes, a baker among others. The food and baked goods are phenomenal.

There's also a place heading to Holmes County called the Amish Door. It's a restaurant and inn. Haven't been there for a few years but I cannot think of baked goods that even come close to what they offer.
RFI90
Posted 8/30/2020 22:11 (#8467196 - in reply to #8467083)

Northeast Iowa
Got a couple different Amish communities in my area. I've stopped at one food stand along a highway for a couple years and she always does great work. A whole pie is about $6.50 and a mini pie that's 4-5" across (the equivalent of two slices of a regular pie) is $2.25.

One item I saw at a locker in Minnesota a few years ago is Roasted Pineapple Habanero Sauce. It's sweet with good heat without being too overpowering. It comes from Amish Wedding Foods in Millersburg, Ohio. www.amishweddingfoods.com
PeteMN
Posted 8/30/2020 23:24 (#8467272 - in reply to #8466338)

E.Central MN
I've tried a few pies at farmers markets around here, they generally aren't very good compared to a home made pie crust. Their crusts look like they've been sitting around for a week, the filling is the canned pie filling that tastes the same no matter what fruit it's advertised to be.
Brassring
Posted 8/31/2020 08:05 (#8467544 - in reply to #8467196)

St.Clair Co. IL.
guys it don't take much to make a pie, I use the crust you find in a box in the dairy area, not the ones in a roll tube, just warm to room temp. roll out put in pie pan (even my neighbor ladies who are GREAT bakers use these now) put your own filling in and bake takes about 40 to 50 mins. (pecan takes longer) but it simple AND you can put as much fruit in it as you want.
Just saying cause sometimes you have to do it yourself to get it right
Bob

Yea I cook, bake and can, since I retired, have a big garden and want to use what I grow
ohiohorsewoman
Posted 8/31/2020 08:43 (#8467596 - in reply to #8467196)

RFI90 - 8/30/2020 22:11

Got a couple different Amish communities in my area. I've stopped at one food stand along a highway for a couple years and she always does great work. A whole pie is about $6.50 and a mini pie that's 4-5" across (the equivalent of two slices of a regular pie) is $2.25.

One item I saw at a locker in Minnesota a few years ago is Roasted Pineapple Habanero Sauce. It's sweet with good heat without being too overpowering. It comes from Amish Wedding Foods in Millersburg, Ohio. www.amishweddingfoods.com

You can buy a whole pie for $6.50? It costs nearly $5 for a pumpkin pie, a small one, at Aldi's. We have a local farm market, a good-sized one, that buys pies from a company up around Akron, I think it is, and bakes them onsite. Although I haven't looked lately, the fruit pies, depending on the fruit, were selling for between $11.50 and $13, but that was before this year of the drought. People snap them up. (Not me though.)

I've never heard of Amish Wedding Foods but I'm going to check out that site. Thx.  

ohiohorsewoman
Posted 8/31/2020 09:00 (#8467618 - in reply to #8467272)

I cannot buy canned filling from the store. I find it to be expensive and one can would never fill a pie.

However, if anyone would consider making their own pie filling, let me recommend a youtube channel, Linda's pantry. She has vids on canning apple pie filling and rhubarb and strawberry, I think it was. She uses clear gel. Guided by the Amish Canning Book, which I highly recommend, that pie filling is to die for. I have made peach filling and am about to do so either later today or tomorrow. (My favorite peaches, Canadian Harmony, are now in season.) I recently used a quart + a pint for peach cobbler. Nearly like fresh it's so good.

(20180914_165120 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20180914_165120 (full).jpg (105KB - 501 downloads)
skicker
Posted 8/31/2020 09:06 (#8467627 - in reply to #8467596)

CNY
The pies from Wegman's that I mentioned as being a good store pie are $14 but they are full size and deeper than any Amish pie.
I do cook but when my wife explains about pie crust it sounds like something I'd louse up. I'd never try it when she's around, that would not go well.
skicker
Posted 8/31/2020 09:58 (#8467697 - in reply to #8467618)

CNY
bookmarked
Tim in WI
Posted 8/31/2020 10:03 (#8467702 - in reply to #8467544)

Embarrass WI
Brassring - 8/31/2020 08:05

guys it don't take much to make a pie, I use the crust you find in a box in the dairy area, not the ones in a roll tube, just warm to room temp. roll out put in pie pan (even my neighbor ladies who are GREAT bakers use these now) put your own filling in and bake takes about 40 to 50 mins. (pecan takes longer) but it simple AND you can put as much fruit in it as you want.
Just saying cause sometimes you have to do it yourself to get it right
Bob

Yea I cook, bake and can, since I retired, have a big garden and want to use what I grow

I use the store-bought pie crusts, too. My wife was mostly an excellent cook but she could not master pie crust, she eventually gave up and used pre-made ones. Her mother made killer pie crusts, but Sue could never "get it". I don't make many pies, they don't fit AT ALL with trying to eat lower carbs. But I did make my annual apple pie yesterday since the first apples are ready on the tree in my front yard. It turned out pretty yummy, I'll give half of it to my brother so I don't eat it all.
skicker
Posted 8/31/2020 10:07 (#8467707 - in reply to #8466444)

CNY
Give 'em an inch... Couple neighbors found out. They can't have vehicles but have no problem bumming a ride. Can't have a phone but will use your cell. One neighbor let them use barn phone for a modest monthly but didn't get paid finally had to toss them out. We gave one permission to hunt so he brought the whole fam damily. At least the women seem to work hard doing every thing like was done 150 years ago.

ETA except pies?

Edited by skicker 8/31/2020 10:08
Mrs B
Posted 8/31/2020 17:28 (#8468323 - in reply to #8467196)

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

Amish Wedding brand pickled beets are as good or better than I can make at home, and cheaper in the long run. I've never been disappointed in anything I got that was Amish Wedding brand. 

Conversely, I could tell the story of the young Amish crew that tore down and rebuilt a barn for us years ago, and the day they came to work after a local Amish wedding the evening before........    LOL!!!

moobeast
Posted 8/31/2020 20:07 (#8468641 - in reply to #8467707)

Earlville, NY
Haha, he stopped by tonight to ask again, i told him no.
RFI90
Posted 9/1/2020 07:19 (#8469426 - in reply to #8467596)

Northeast Iowa
ohiohorsewoman - 8/31/2020 07:43

RFI90 - 8/30/2020 22:11

You can buy a whole pie for $6.50? It costs nearly $5 for a pumpkin pie, a small one, at Aldi's.  

Yes. The lady who bakes them for the sale barn restaurant is $7. I think both of them use lard in the crust.
PeteMN
Posted 9/1/2020 23:00 (#8471153 - in reply to #8467618)

E.Central MN
By "canned filling" I meant the stuff that is sold in 5 gal pails which the food service suppliers sell to bakeries or restaurants. Sometimes its sold in the commercial supplies area of a grocery store. When we had more bakeries around it was common to go in and see the plastic pails for sale. Your pictures of actual home canned peaches, etc is one reason why home made pies taste so much better than restaurant pies. Another reason is that home made pie crusts are usually better. And nothing tastes quite as good as a piece of pie that is still warm from the oven with an added scoop of ice cream on it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)