AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Little things in beans...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 4/6/2009 10:48 (#670783)
Subject: Little things in beans...

Columbia City, Indiana
Right now I can sell new crop beans for .22 over my cost of production, and that's if I get 50 bushel beans, which is a very good yield for this area. I averaged 41 with no rain to speak of in July, August, and thru Ike in '08. So I would like to start a thread for ideas that don't cost much but could potentially add a bushel or two to the final yield, which would sure help the bottom line. For example, a neighbor dumped some sort of miracle grow type stuff in his sprayer last summer just to get rid of it, and he claimed the beans were 6" taller right to the row where he sprayed the stuff, at a cost of about $1 per acre. He's convinced it helped, and he's doing it on all his beans this year. I know inoculants have been about talked to death on here, so I was wondering if anybody has any other ideas for stuff like this. A lot of the guys in my neighborhood still talk about how 10 years ago or so, a local supplier screwed up and included a dribble of banvel when they sprayed beans and how that really seemed to cause a yield kick, probably because it cupped the bean leaves on top and sunlight got through to the leaves lower in the canopy. Has anybody had the guts to do this on purpose?

Whoops, market report just came via text message... now I can sell for .09 over COP... :(
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)