AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf with swollen joint after possible pneumonia
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cjohnson
Posted 5/21/2020 16:50 (#8271907)
Subject: Calf with swollen joint after possible pneumonia

Athens, TX
I have a 2 month old calf, found in the pasture very sick, couldn't pick up his head and rapid breathing, no snotty nose or cough but appeared to be in shock. I thought he was already too far gone but gave him Nuflor IM and drenched with electrolyte solution (what I had on hand). Checked on him in the morning expecting him to be dead, but surprised to see him up with Mom but weak and had scours. A little older than usual time for scours, and none others have had anything in that herd. Thought maybe scours and was dehydrated, because that sick with pneumonia would likely have died. I drenched with electrolytes again. That evening noticed some blood in stool, still weak but clearly improving. Was moving slow but up nursing. Next day, looking better but still a bit weak and moving slow but staying with Mom. This morning went to give another dose of Nuflor. Overall stronger, ears up, but swollen joint with limp in the right rear leg. I'm thinking bloodstream infection that went to the joint? Any ideas? Further treatments? I have not had much luck with getting joint infections to clear in calves. Appreciate any help! Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)