AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New calving barn ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cardboard
Posted 2/19/2019 16:58 (#7331111)
Subject: New calving barn ideas

South Dakota
Looking for ideas for designing a new calving barn for heifers. Our current one is 65 years old and needing more work done to it than it's worth. Current one is a 34 X 72 quonset. It has a 34*36 open area for pairs a few days old. The other 34*36 half is split into 4 pens and a calving pen. with headgate. Would like to add space to run ones that are getting close inside at night. I would really like to have at least 4 pens and maybe 5 set up. Right now, one pen is right by the door, so you are always walking through a pen with a pair in it to get to the others. It would be nice to have maybe a main alley to get to the pens. Doesn't bother me at all, but thinking ahead to my kids and wife helping down the road and making it easy for them. Current setup is in the picture. North pen for calving and South pen for the pairs to eat until moved out. Would like to still utilize those, but open to change as well. Big pen to the north is where heifers are until they calve. So that would be where I want to run them inside at night would be.

(Screenshot (1) (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screenshot (1) (full).png (137KB - 66 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)