AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My corn yields were off over 30% from my APH
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Lotts_Valley
Posted 11/7/2018 09:35 (#7090606)
Subject: My corn yields were off over 30% from my APH

I am in northern iowa 20 miles or so from MN border. Halfway between I-35 and Iowas western border. Call it the south edge of the I-90 corridor. My whole farm corn average vs hole farm APH was off 34%. We had a cold wet spring (20 inches of snow 3rd week of april, got blasted with what seemed like 4 inches of rain every two weeks up until october. There are no corn piles at the 3 locations within 15 miles of me that usually pile corn on the ground. Other farmers i talk to seem to have raised good corn. This is very disheartening to me, I was proud of my yields each year since 2015 but I seem to be the only one that was way short this year. However, those corn piles werent made up of my production alone so i guess I only talk to the top performing growers. Will someone else from this neighborhood make me feel better and tell me that their yields were atleast off from last year by a few bushels so I can stop trying figure out where my shortcomings are as a corn grower? Also, this doesnt give much hope to crop killers nationwide, but on my small scale in this neighborhood I am suspecting we are going to be pulling down on the state average bit. I have produced above the state average 9 out of 10 years. Don't get me wrong, there was corn raised here, but i'm guessing there are other producers who are below APH production, I just havent talked to them yet. (again i only seem to talk to high performing growers) Basis levels are a bit stronger than than the past 3 years at this time of the year. In reference to the crop insurance thread from a few days ago- I submitted a crop insurance claim. I'm glad I am carrying insurance this year, it will help to make me (somewhat) whole.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)