AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RAM mount for 6620 combine revisited (pic warning)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 9/22/2018 20:45 (#7003311)
Subject: RAM mount for 6620 combine revisited (pic warning)

I got many good ideas for mounting the 1" RAM mount ball in the combine in my previous post about the JD Sound Gard cab mount I made.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=802321

However, as I have frequently posted before, I really dislike drilling new holes in stuff just for mounting different things. I like to utilize existing holes and brackets to come up with my own solutions. This sometimes takes more time and requires more creative thinking but for me it's always worth the extra effort as it looks like a cleaner install and can be removed in the future without leaving any telltale holes or marks.

There really is very little to mount to in the 6620 combine but I wanted something right under the small side window. I knew there were some fine threaded bolts with Phillips heads and special washers to hold the plastic gauge cowling on. I thought this might be a good place to start.

I used a piece of 1/8" thick 1" wide metal and made a piece about 24" long to begin with.

From the front edge I measured in 1-1/8" for the first hole then measured 7" apart for the next 3 holes.

At 3-1/2" between the 2 center most holes I drilled a 3/8" hole.

I cut the head off a 3/8" bolt and welded it into the strip and ground it down flush on the back

Finally I clamped a couple washers to each end of the strip to grind a nice rounded profile to the ends of the strips and get rid of the sharp edges. A quick shot of black paint and I installed it in the combine.

This allowed me to bolt the offset ball mount I had away from the window a bit giving more room for movement and articulation of the X-grip holder.

Seems plenty secure for the phone and I think it looks very nice.

Thought I would share this here in case others are looking to do something similar.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)