AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weed hunting tools
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 5/20/2018 13:08 (#6769806)
Subject: Weed hunting tools

Kingston,Mi
Nearly all Gods children got weeds, we sometimes need assistance in identifing weeds. Here are a few tools that I relied on when I pretended to be an agronomist.

1) a weed guide such as Circular 718 or what ever the current number is for (in my case North Central States) other areas will have slightly different versions.
2) a hand lens with about 3 power magnification for helping any age eyes to look for plant features
3) a handy dandy scale (legalese for ruler) to replace a Busch Light can and can actually be used to measure features
4) more weed guides, most have pages that illustrate features like leaf structure or stem feactures plus the freebies from the chemical companies while having fewer plants, have color pictures
and finally 5) a camera to document your mystry weed.

I like the photos of the weed but if photographed on a white background with the scale it helps to eliminate the visual "noise". The whole plant, a leaf with stem, whether the leaves are opposite or alternate, stem charateristics and flowers with color and number of petals speed the process of looking thru the identification key in the University and some industry publications. USDA also hhas a plants database, but I have always found it best for confirming what I have identified the old fashion way.

(weed hunting tools (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments weed hunting tools (full).JPG (78KB - 82 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)