AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till disc drills for high trash situations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Sammy65
Posted 1/15/2018 23:37 (#6508571)
Subject: No till disc drills for high trash situations

Galahad, Alberta, Canada
Looking at being able to seed cereals, pulses, oilseeds, and forages in high trash situations. Likely 10” spacing. 40’ to 50’ wide. Does anyone have advice or experience? Currently use a SeedMaster in spring seeding, but looking to experiment with some cover crops.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnW
Posted 1/16/2018 01:19 (#6508637 - in reply to #6508571)
Subject: RE: No till disc drills for high trash situations

NW Washington
A Cross Slot drill will probably accurately put seed in the soil in to heavy residue better than any other no-till drill on the market. They are not cheap and they pull hard, but they will put seed into the ground and will also put down fertilizer at the same time and keep it away from the seed. There are big Cross Slots working in N Idaho and E. Washington and also in N. Dakota. A small company in Lewiston Idaho puts together larger drills using Cross Slot openers and control systems. There is a guy here on NAT that has one in Washington state who seeds his own and does custom seeding.
AgPro in Lewiston also makes a drill of their own design that uses a straight coulter in front of a hoe opener that has relatively low soil disturbance.

Here is a link to the web page of the fellow who is the Cross Slot owner who posts here on NAT at times. http://www.customseeding.com/

http://agproinc.com/

http://www.crossslot.com/canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqmQZuNqBsQ

Lowyielder
Posted 1/16/2018 05:36 (#6508685 - in reply to #6508637)

Last thread said cross slot was junk and had numerous references.
DoubleJFarmsWA
Posted 1/16/2018 09:08 (#6509112 - in reply to #6508685)

Eastern Washington
Everyone has an opinion..

Being able to seed into high-residue on a custom basis (as I have no control on any management my customers do), the cross-slot has done very well for me. For me, it seems the higher the residue, the better my drill preforms (I have never done corn takeout, as corn is not really grown much in this region). Now, if it isnt really high-residue, than you may be able to find a cheaper drill than the Cross-Slot as it is very expensive.
starbuck
Posted 1/16/2018 09:36 (#6509191 - in reply to #6508637)

Idaho
What about a pillar what's your opinion of them?
Sammy65
Posted 1/16/2018 11:06 (#6509396 - in reply to #6509191)

Galahad, Alberta, Canada
A Pillar Lazer is on the radar for sure, but as of now I’m just wanting to experiment and thought maybe a smaller used machine would be a cheaper option. Here in east central Alberta there aren’t many disc drills and I’m just not familiar with them
mhagny
Posted 1/16/2018 05:47 (#6508693 - in reply to #6508571)

Sammy65 - 1/15/2018 22:37 Looking at being able to seed cereals, pulses, oilseeds, and forages in high trash situations. Likely 10” spacing. 40’ to 50’ wide. Does anyone have advice or experience? Currently use a SeedMaster in spring seeding, but looking to experiment with some cover crops.

Maybe a JD 1890 with Aricks row cleaners?  (full disclosure: we are exclusive distributors for them in N America)  A couple farmers from Alberta & MB are having great success with them -- see link (scroll to bottom):

https://www.exapta.com/products/aricks-row-cleaners/

For seeding shallow, this is probably about as good as current technology permits.

deck05
Posted 1/16/2018 06:27 (#6508744 - in reply to #6508693)

Hitchcock SD
The same aricks row cleaner that says “not for use in cornstalks, must be locked up”? Almost makes them worthless “here”
mhagny
Posted 1/16/2018 07:38 (#6508887 - in reply to #6508744)

deck05 - 1/16/2018 05:27 The same aricks row cleaner that says “not for use in cornstalks, must be locked up”? Almost makes them worthless “here”

If all you grow is corn & soybeans, then yes -- they're not for you.  If you do wheat after soybeans, then you might find some value in them.

bacon
Posted 1/16/2018 08:11 (#6508972 - in reply to #6508571)

SC North Dakota
Trash isn't a problem if it's dry and properly spread the previous crop. Don't let your discs get dull and worn. I don't know, I can buy a lot of new discs for what those trash wheels cost. What do I know. I've only been no-tilling for 20 years.
Gro-Mor Farms
Posted 1/16/2018 09:08 (#6509113 - in reply to #6508571)

Western Ky.
We used a Great Plains notill drill with the steerable coulter cart sucessfully for years. We would plant soybeans and wheat directly into corn stalks running at an angle to the old corn rows, Stalks were left as tall as possible. Planting into corn stalks where the corn was down and corn head was ran as low as possible presented the most problems, but was manageable. We now use a 15" row Cyclo planter for soybeans. We have grown no wheat for several years.
clh
Posted 1/16/2018 18:27 (#6510244 - in reply to #6509113)

saskatchewan
There are alot of joh deeres around are area.very good drill but with a disk drill comes more wearing parts.it cutts through alot of trash issuses for us in last ten plus years we been running one.found slowing down in heavy trash helps.just some of my experences
mhagny
Posted 1/17/2018 06:27 (#6511087 - in reply to #6508571)

Sammy65 - 1/15/2018 22:37 Looking at being able to seed cereals, pulses, oilseeds, and forages in high trash situations. Likely 10” spacing. 40’ to 50’ wide. Does anyone have advice or experience? Currently use a SeedMaster in spring seeding, but looking to experiment with some cover crops.

You might benefit from some of what I've written in the Exapta website and newsletters.  Get your mind wrapped around how the opener gauges depth, does seed firming, and firming closing (hopefully as separate steps).  There are a great many factors involved, obviously. 

budfarmer
Posted 1/17/2018 22:39 (#6513320 - in reply to #6508571)

a fair number of disc units up in my area. two pillars, two bourgault with the side band not the midrow and lots of deere 1890 and 1895. Some are full one pass with dry or nh3 some are knifing nh3 separate pass. One is setup with liquid. some of the deeres have row cleaners also. I know that some of the guys are usually at farm tech if you are going to be there. Could always introduce you. Many had flexicoil 5000 style drills before going to the disc units. two pillars and one bourgault are also cattle guys and one 1895 that I can think of off hand. most are being used on highly variable soils and in high trash. I have used the 1895 and the sdx with good success. Biggest thing is to understand there limitations. Wet straw I would say is number 1 the will cut a lot of dry straw but damp or wet can give you hair pinning problems. number 2 is very little soil blackening which is more a spring frost concern. number 3 amount of seed row fertilizer that can be placed and nitrogen method and placement. Plus side is smooth field finish, no rocks and ability to spray after seeding before crop emerges. some of the deere's are running aftermarket parts to improve performance. hope this is of some help
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)