AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The weather don’t seem so bad now
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Abomb
Posted 1/15/2018 13:39 (#6507087)
Subject: The weather don’t seem so bad now

This puts things into perspective how bad it could be. And they didn’t have much for clothes compared to what we got, or very good heaters and insulation in the house, or cabbed front wheel assist loader tractors and snowblowers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6Iz4dXGdg

Edited by Abomb 1/15/2018 13:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KLo
Posted 1/15/2018 14:01 (#6507134 - in reply to #6507087)
Subject: RE: The weather don’t seem so bad now

Northeast, NE
Wow! I can only imagine how bad that was.
Winter of '09-'10 was as bad as I've had it.

Edited by KLo 1/15/2018 14:02
Abomb
Posted 1/15/2018 14:22 (#6507178 - in reply to #6507134)

Same here, I believe it was the same storm grandpa and his brothers dug a path through the snow to the highway 1.5 miles north, then herded fathogs to the highway to load on the truck.
aray63
Posted 1/15/2018 15:09 (#6507256 - in reply to #6507178)

barry county mi
Very interesting story. could you imagine what would happen to people today if they had a storm like that. Holy cow . Good people out there. archie
gndfarms
Posted 1/15/2018 21:35 (#6508289 - in reply to #6507087)

mid minnesota
Folks were tough back then not like now! Got friends north pole Alaska schools dont shut down till 40 below temp
Posted 1/15/2018 22:57 (#6508488 - in reply to #6508289)

NE Nebraska
Honkytonkman
Posted 1/15/2018 23:03 (#6508507 - in reply to #6508488)
Subject: I respectfully disagree. This still sucks

Custom calving some heifers for a guy right now. These little guys need warmed up fast when it’s -23. Thank god for Seinfeld re runs all night. But hey it’s good pay and still beats the factory. Been there done that.
paul the original
Posted 1/15/2018 23:20 (#6508537 - in reply to #6507087)
Subject: RE: The Armistice Day blizzard 1940

southern MN
My parents and that generation always talked about the Armistice day blizzard of nOvember, 1940.

Was a beautiful fall day to start with, shirt sleeve forenoon. People took off to where they were going, and a the temp dropped like a rock, not forecast, and snow and wind came in. Hard and bad. Much the same as that Wyoming story starts out. Caught everyone very, very unprepared.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Armistice_Day_Blizzard

Mom talked about the turkeys they had (this was at her family home before she and dad met) they turkeys out in a pen the day was so nice. She and some siblings had to run around and gather up and butcher the ones they could find/ save, they were dying in the heavy snow and cold temps. The older siblings were tending to the cows and cattle as best they could. I can't do moms stories justice, it left quite an impression on her, those stories were quite serious tone from that day unlike most of moms 'remember when.'

Dad talked about the snow plow getting stuck in 'the cut' that went through a hill on our farm. They brought in a catapiller, but it got stuck too. The better equipped vehicles of that time were driving through grabdpas field around the cut. Eventually the county paid a few fellas to shovel, and they walked along the side of 'the cut' the bottom fella threw snow up higher, the middle fella threw that snow up higher, and the top guy threw the snow out of the cut. I think dad was kinda sorry he got involved from the way he told it, but in 1940 a dollar meant something, I'm not sure what they were paid now. The road was straightened before I came along, but I think "the cut" was 20 foot deep trench through a clay hill a few 100 feet long, and it had drifted pretty much level full.

Paul
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)