AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about a post from coup and garvos post yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ricefarmer14
Posted 11/15/2017 15:47 (#6366821)
Subject: Question about a post from coup and garvos post yesterday

East Arkansas

garvo posted:

"what size operation is the best coup?

One that is sustainable over the long pull.

so as a small operation how do I get to the point I can buy at your cost's/-Do you use those price's of purchased goods to absorb those that can not buy at your rates?, and then the end game as you will not be replaceable as you are the only one in your family that can get those cheap priced inputs?-or have there been others that do a better job at purchasing inputs and they have a edge?
I have a friend that was very good at input cost's-he hit retirement age and no longer chase's low cost-no one replaced him,as his farming just ended with ground rented out"

I've often wondered about this exact scenario many times....I believe the best farmers are businessmen/entrepreneurs with the ability to think outside the box and earn more where others only see problems and adversity.

Garvos post and I consider Garvo to be a good businessman from reading his posts over the years questions whether one should rely on a person who is a good marketer or maybe a good horse trader, etc because when he or she is no longer involved in the operation your advantage is gone.

I believe that if you don't have some of these types of skills you won't be in the farming business or any business very long and should worry if we don't have a person like this around not worry about if they leave....To me farming is about being an entrepreneur and if we don't do something better than our neighbors we might just be a steering g wheel holder and not have a skill/ability that allows us to move ahead in a commodity production business...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)